Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Connotations

In today's forecast, The Detroit News proclaims that a "cold front" is coming in to take us below the 90's. While I, sitting in my non-air conditioned home and presiding over a eutrophic pool, can appreciate temperatures below 90, I have to say something about this supposed "cold front."

According to the weekly forecast, this "cold front" will still leave us in the 80's. The 80's are tolerable (except for music and fashion), but I decline to accept it as a "cold front."

Denotatively, it fits. The 80's is colder than the 90's. However, one must also consider the connotation of a word. There is nothing cold about a weather system that carries temperatures in the 80's. 85 is cold if it's your body temperature (in which case you're either dead or my wife's hands and feet at bed time). 85 is cold if it's your oven setting, and you're cooking meat. When the air is 85, it's quite warm. Maybe it's not [insert profanity] hot, but it sure as heck isn't cold. Something that is not cold should not be called cold, even if it is colder than something else. If the temperature were 150, you wouldn't walk around saying, "Hell this is cold! After all, we could be living on the surface of the Sun!" (or in my living room).

Would you wear a sweater if it's 85? Would you start a fire in the fireplace? Would you turn the thermostat up to 90 because 85 is too cold?

The 80's is not cold, so it can't be a "cold front," even if it's colder than the 90's. The 80's isn't even a "mild front." It's a "milder front," but that doesn't make it mild. Someone who murders fewer people than another isn't by definition more philanthropic.

Like I said, the denotation is appropriate, but there's more to a word than its denotation. If denotation were all that mattered, then I wouldn't get upset if one of my kids told me that the bathroom smelled like [insert profane synonym for feces]. If connotation didn't matter, then I could tell people that I've got a real bitch at home without fear of offending anyone.

*Disclaimer: Nala is a bitch. She's a two year old beagle.*

If connotation is irrelevant, then I could issue any racial epithet with impunity (Polacks can go to www.dictionary.com to look up impunity. Better yet, ask an Ango-Saxon to do so for you).

And this brings me to a new rant. What's with almost every blonde joke being a simple revised Polack joke? Was it decided that jokes depicting a nationality in a bad way are not appropriate (unless it's France), but jokes deriding people with low levels of eumelanin and higher levels pheomelanin are funny?

What's wrong with racial jokes? If the answer is that they're offensive, then blond jokes are similarly inappropriate. If the answer is that they create a false stereotype, then blond jokes are likewise inaccurate.

Is there some fear that I might actually think that racial jokes depict the truth of people? I know many blond people, and I see new ones every day, and I have never assumed that they are stupid because I heard the one about the blond who climbed over the chain-link fence to see what was on the other side (originally, this was a Polack joke).

But connotation is a problem, and it's not easily describable.

There's a difference between racial epithets, racism, and racial jokes. Should I push aside a black guy and say, "Out of my way, nigger," I have used a word with a negative connotation with the purpose of being pejorative. It's not the word that's bad so much as what I meant by using it.

Suppose I should say that I hate dagos? Again, the key is not the word dago. The important and truly pejorative word is hate. Am I somewhat nicer if I say, "I hate Italians"?

Now to the racial joke. When I ask, "Did you hear about the Polack who broke his arm while raking leaves? He fell out," I'm not trying to be hurtful to Poles. It's just for some reason (and I don't know it), they're the butt of jokes, and these jokes depict them as being dumb. By telling the joke, I am not suggesting that Poles are dumb, nor am I expressing my personal belief that Poles are dumb. Just because I laughed at the joke, "What did the black kid get for his birthday? My bike!" doesn't mean that I'm supporting the KKK or about to hang one from a tree. Besides, how would I get him down? (I'd tell some Mexicans that he's a piƱata).

Do such jokes support irrational stereotypes? Yes, in some ways they do. However, I still want to know what's so PC about a blond joke? For that matter, what's so funny about a redneck joke, if Jewish jokes are so taboo? If I tell or laugh at a Jewish joke, I'm not saying that Auschwitz was a fine institution. However, if you wish to punish me for telling or laughing at a Jewish joke, then you've got something in common with Auschwitz's proprietors.


What's funny if everything's PC?

Non-PC Joke: How do you confuse a Polack? Stick him in a round room and tell him to pee in a corner!

PC Version: How do you confuse a dignified individual of Polish descent? Send him to a location but provide him with incorrect directions.

Non-PC Joke: Why do Italian men grow mustaches? To remind them of their mothers!

PC Version: Why do Italian men grow mustaches? Because many of them wish to do so, and since it is within their rights to do so, they may so.

Non-PC Joke: What do gay men call hemorrhoids? Speed bumps!

PC Version: What do gay men call hemorrhoids? A condition in which the veins around the anus or lower rectum are swollen and inflamed!

In spite of all of this, I completely disagree with the connotative ignorance of calling the upcoming weather a "cold front." It's not a "cold front" if it doesn't make it cold, and the 80's is not cold. Historically, the 80's weren't even cool.

By the way, if I offended you with my candor, then get a life.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:09 PM

    Intent. The use of the words “warm” and “cold” is intended to delineate the difference between two air masses. One might not be much warmer or much colder but the fact remains that one is either warmer or colder and thus will react with each other accordingly. Intent applies to jokes as well. What is the intent of a blonde or ethnic joke? Is it simply to make people laugh? Would a “blonde joke” be funny if it didn’t involve a blonde? “Why did the history teacher climb the chain link fence? To see what was on the other side”. Not funny. Why not? No “dumb – blonde” association. While I have laughed at my share of blonde and ethnic jokes they are funny because of the stereotype. We stereotype to make the thinking process easier. We use negative stereotypes to make ourselves look better in our own eyes or to justify our world and the way we think about. Republicans are for big business. Democrats are for the little guy. Libertarians are anarchists. Blondes and Poles are dumb. All these stereotypes serve a purpose to their beholder. Some are for rationalization others for humiliation. It just depends on your intent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:26 AM

    Holy crap you've been busy. Or maybe not. I've missed around 6 posts. It's gonna take me a while to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:54 AM

    So, offensive jokes are only offensive to people who don't understand that they're actually not meant to be offensive. Yes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Golf Guy:

    This is the best critical reply posted yet to this site. Of course the jokes involved a stereotype of some sort, otherwise they loose their humor, and of course the 80's is colder than the 90's--just as a 500 pound man is lankier than an 800 pound one.

    Question: Should a kid who tells a blonde joke in school be suspended? What if he tells the same joke but substitutes a specific ethinc group for blonde? Aren't they the same thing? If blondes can get over being the butt of stupid jokes, then why can't others?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:16 PM

    Poland is proud and while we have not won anything since the 17th century we are the foremost country mentioned in the vince vaughn movie the breakup.By the way is science guy mr.battaglia?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surrealist:

    A joke can only be offensive to you if you invite it to be so. Someone can call me a cold-hearted bastard because of my views on welfare, social security, medicare, medicade, minimum wages, animal testing (they score very low in math, reading, and writing), etc. I am not bothered by this, for I know that I am not a cold hearted bastard. I content myself to know that my critic is ill-equipped to deal with my argument rationally and must thus resort to ridicule.

    Why should I be offended? Supposing some black dude should come up to me and call me a dumb honky? First of all, I am a honky, if by honky he means white guy. Second of all, I am neither ashamed nor proud to be a white guy. It's just a fact that I am white. Third, I'm not dumb, and I have no hidden fear that I'm dumb but don't know it. I can spell Chrysanthemum.

    For me to get "offended," I will have to be mad that this guy doesn't like me and meant to say something hurtful. First of all, it wasn't hurtful. Second, I don't give a crap if he hates me. Third, if I give a crap that he hates me, I'm not offended by his comment but saddened by our lack of fraternity. After all, ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony, side by side on my piano keyboard, oh Lord why don't we?

    Most people who get offended by anything do so because they are empty inside and what to feel important. Since they are unwilling or unable to do something actually important, they choose the next best route, to become a victim and to draw on what the Ancient Greeks called pathos. The whole thing is an act to appeal to the pity of others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous:

    Poland is proud, though nationalism is irrational. In an individual, we call it egotism and shun it (which explains my mere handful of friends). In a nation, we call it patriotism and politicians exploit it--much as flattery is used to exploit the egotist.

    Is Science Guy Mr. Battaglia? It's funny that someone posted as "Anonymous" would request the identity of another...

    The ellipses indicates a thoughtful, dramatic pause. What a perfect ending, if I don't say so myself, and I do, so ...

    ReplyDelete

Bill of Rights