Monday, May 22, 2006

Icky Pop!


Several years ago, when my daughter was an infant, she learned that not all beverages are created equal. To be specific, she learned that some are fermented and others are not. Indeed, for at least two years all forms of beer were little more than "icky pop."

Now it's my son's turn. I'm Barbequing some chicken legs (I know, it's peasants' meat, but it's what the wife wanted). It's about 6:30 PM, and I'm in the mood for a little something in my Diet Coke.

Smirnoff to the rescue.

I was drinking it out of a Big Gulp cup of about 75% Diet Coke, 25% Vodka (enough to ease the sunburn on my shoulders, but not enough to turn me into a Kennedy). I put down the cup and turned to the fire pit, about to add some fodder, when Mark walks up and says, "Mark want Daddy pop."

This is what you call one of those "teachable moments." I knew that if I stopped him from sipping, Mark would just think that I was not allowing him refreshment. However, if I allowed him the sip--just a sip--he would learn not to go after my drink without some assurance as to its alcohol content.

As I watched him, I was a little amused and a little disgusted with myself (for just letting him take a swig). His sip was not great. It was merely a trifle. Just enough for him to set the cup down and say in horror, "Daddy's pop icky! Mark no like Daddy's icky pop. Icky pop too hot!"

There's just some comfort in knowing that all the money I've thus far and yet will put out for my kids will not come close to equalling the bills they'll be shelling out for therapy. On the other hand, who do you think they'll ask for the money?

Dammit!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:48 AM

    The legs of the chicken are not, as you say, "peasants meat." The dark meat contains more lipid content and ergo maintains better flavor and moisture levels throughout the cooking process. As opposed to America's favorite, the dry-tasteless chicken breast. Despite this minor complaint, funny anicdote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:07 PM

    so you have done the exact same thing to mark that your g-g-pa did to you when you were a kid? must run in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, if I'd stopped him from taking that sip, he would not have understood why. From now on, he'll get it.

    ReplyDelete

Bill of Rights