Saturday, September 08, 2007

WNBA et al.

I picked up the newspaper this morning, and I felt violated.

The FRONT PAGE HEADLINE of the news announced that the Detroit Shock had won a game. Granted, it was a playoff-championship game: but the FRONT PAGE HEADLINE?

Honestly, I don't care about the WNBA, and I don't know anyone who does. But still, the media tries to cram it in our faces that the WNBA exists. It's a form of journalistic rape. We've said, "NO!," but they keep pressing us, trying to make us interested in it.

It's like with soccer. Apparently, we're all screwed up in this country because we don't enjoy watching soccer. They love it in Europe, so we need to love it over here.

Hey newsmen, here's some (apparently) news for you.

The WNBA is lame. We don't care about it. Give us real front page stories.

Soccer is lame. We don't care about it. Tell David Beckham that he can take a hike.

All of this forcing WNBA and soccer down our throats is equivalent to prison sodomy (well, then I guess forcing it "down our throats" was incorrect phraseology). We don't want it, and just because the media has the power to force it on us doesn't mean that they should. Let me do my time peacefully, thank you very much.

And 3:10 to Yuma is a great film, reminiscent of the great Westerns of old.

3 comments:

  1. No one dunks on me because I reject Basketball's wussy hands, elbows, shoulders, etc. off policy. Sure, I get ejected, but I don't mind being thrown out of a game that I don't really like.

    You might try to dunk on me, but you'll lose a spleen in the process.

    Besides, we all know that women can't dunk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A particular newspaper can print whatever it wants. No one is forcing you to read it, ergo your rape analogy while drastic and demeaning was - in essence - a terrible one. You're a free market economist, right? If the paper you read keeps featuring stories related to "news" stories you find insignificant, then simply stop patronizing them; but more importantly stop complaining about things so remarkable insignificant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a monumental issue for you, Drew. My computer goes down more often than Paris Hilton.

    ReplyDelete

Bill of Rights