Monday, April 16, 2007

The Imus Rant That You Knew Must Come

On my earlier post of about 45 minutes ago, I implied sympathy for Don Imus and antipathy for those leading the witch hunt against him.

I do not deny this.

Imus is a "Shock Jock." That's his job. That's what CBS paid him for, and that's what sponsors sponsored. He's supposed to say things that are "out of line." Imus was not paid to say things that made us smile, nod, and praise. He was paid to shock people with outrageous comments.

Imus is accused of making sexist and racially disparaging remarks. However, don't such remarks fit his job description?

Even without defending what he said, it must be admitted that he said what he was paid to say, and he has the undeniable right to say what he said.

While I respect CBS's right to fire Imus (what else could they do, from a publicity stance?), I also say that doing so was rotten.

Hell, I don't even listen to Imus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bill of Rights