Sunday, April 08, 2007

Ave Appalachia!


Today I played a banjo for the first time.

OK, cut it out. I know exactly what you just thought. The picture was of a slack-jawed, sallow-faced, overall-wearin' hillbilly; and the soundtrack was from Deliverance. Ha ha. Very funny.

I'm serious when I say that the banjo is really a neat instrument. Obviously I wasn't very good. I could pick out some tunes and get the basic melody right. However, when it comes to all the quick finger picking background that makes for good bluegrass stomping, I was pretty bad. Still, I think that I could pick it up fairly well if I had one of my own to practice regularly.

For a while, I'd been thinking that I'd next like to get and learn a mandolin. Now I think I'll have to go with the banjo.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:37 PM

    Hve you ever seen Steve Martin play the banjo? It's godly.

    ReplyDelete

Bill of Rights