Thursday, May 03, 2007

Must Reads

Years ago, I read Into Thin Air, by John Krakauer. At the time, I recommended it to nearly everyone I knew, including people who I suspected as intellectual rivals (there are few, indeed).

At this point in my life, given the advancement of my experience and education, I still recommend it. Krakauer's narrative is both personal and objective, for he was witness to the tragedy which he describes on Everest. The book is a true page turner, and I state again that you should read it.

Because of Into Thin Air, I am bound to watch any documentary on Mt. Everest. I can watch and rewatch any recollections and depictions of the expedition of which Krakauer writes. Read it.

I have read another book by Krakauer, Into the Wild. I enjoyed it as well, though I could not help but think that the protagonist deserved what came to him in the end. This protagonist condemns civilization and commits himself to a life--and a short one at that--in the wilderness. Mankind is foolish to think of nature as a kind mother. Only one thing kills more ruthlessly than man, and that is nature (which includes bears, Dan).

Rumor has it that Sean Penn is presently working on a film adaptation of this book. I can only hope that Penn, a self-evinced idiot--though he won't dare admit it, yet he opens his mouth almost daily to prove it--will get the story right.

However, I suspect that he will somehow blame Christopher McCandless's death on George W. Bush.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bill of Rights