Sunday, September 24, 2006

Where's the Hippo?

We were at the Zoo today, bit the hippos were nowhere to be found. Mark (age 3) asked, "Where the hippos at? They go bye-bye?"

To which Natalie pondered, "They might have been abducted."

"Abducted?" I asked.

"Yeah, animal-napped." She answered. "Like when a kid gets abducted, it's kidnapping."

I was a little surprised that she knew the word, though I don't know why. On another occasion she asked me if I was melancholy because I apparently looked sad.

Her vocabulary is pretty advanced for her age, and I chalk it up to reading her novels instead of "kids books" (i.e. crap). We started with Old Yeller when she was three, and have completed a slew of them since, including (these are the ones that I can recall off the top of my head):
Because of Winn-Dixie, The Wizard of Oz, Holes, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nihm, Mary Poppins, The Chronicals of Narnia (all of them), Black Beauty, Stone Fox, The Giver, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkeban, and we're about 250 pages into Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (let me predict now that Harry dies by decapitation in the final novel).

Call it bragging, if you must (and you probably should).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bill of Rights