Monday, August 25, 2008

In God We Trust

I just received an email from someone begging me to vote on an msnbc poll regarding the presence of "In God We Trust" on U.S. currency.

The person who sent it to me assumed that I would "vote" to keep the motto on the currency since I believe in God.

However, if my faith hinges upon U.S. currency, how weak must my faith be? Our money is based upon nothing--not gold, not silver, not cow manure. Its value declines every year. Do I really wish such a thing to represent my faith?

If the U.S. were to stop using the words "In God We Trust" on its currency, would my faith decline? Of course it wouldn't, which is why this whole thing is ridiculous.

No one has been made a believer by those words on a quarter, and no one will be made a non-believer if those words are not on a quarter.

I'm so tired of this kind of symbolic crap. This is almost as annoying as when those people gather thinking that making giant quilts will cure AIDS, or that walking a modest distance will cure breast cancer or diabetes.

I honestly couldn't vote on the poll because I think (and let us not forget that this blog is called "What I Think") that all U.S. currency should be destroyed and replaced with something valuable. The most logical replacement would be something backed by gold or at least by silver.

Besides, if our money so trusted in God, then the Federal Reserve wouldn't have so much damn control over it.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:37 PM

    I know this isn't quite the right place to ask, but what are your opinions on Bob Barr?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:56 PM

    This has nothing to do with currency. I just thoroughly enjoyed the Gipsy Kings' "Hotel California". I think it was in the movie El Mariachi, with Francisco d'Antonio Banderas. How about that one for Rock Band?

    11. Thou shalt not practice inflationary policies.

    ReplyDelete

Bill of Rights