Sunday, November 25, 2007

Robert Frost

Too many people think that Robert Frost's "The Road Less Traveled" is an optimistic poem about a single man striking out boldly in a new direction and thus accomplishing something wonderful.

It's not.

It's a poem about a loser who never did anything special in his life, but, in his autumn years revised his life-story to sound original and purposeful.

Keep this idea in the back of your head while you read a few samples of some of Frost's other great works. Notice the theme. My comments are in italics.


Don't tell me that the following poem has any hint of optimism in it. It's about how everything, no matter how good or beautiful, becomes bad and rotten.

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.



Still think that Frost had a light-hearted view of life? In this next poem he has nature on the verge of destroying humanity.


Once By the Pacific


The shattered water made a misty din.
Great waves looked over others coming in,
And thought of doing something to the shore
That water never did to land before.
The clouds were low and hairy in the skies,
Like locks blown forward in the gleam of eyes.
You could not tell, and yet it looked as if
The shore was lucky in being backed by cliff,
The cliff in being backed by continent;
It looked as if a night of dark intent
Was coming, and not only a night, an age.
Someone had better be prepared for rage.
There would be more than ocean-water broken
Before God's last Put out the Light was spoken.


As for this next one, "Good walls make good neighbors," really? Sure, "Something there is that doesn't love a wall," but the narrator continues year after year to mend the wall, even though the pines and the apples pose no threat to each other.

Mending Wall

Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun,
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
The work of hunters is another thing:
I have come after them and made repair
Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
No one has seen them made or heard them made,
But at spring mending-time we find them there.
I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;
And on a day we meet to walk the line
And set the wall between us once again.
We keep the wall between us as we go.
To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
We have to use a spell to make them balance:
'Stay where you are until our backs are turned!'
We wear our fingers rough with handling them.
Oh, just another kind of out-door game,
One on a side. It comes to little more:
There where it is we do not need the wall:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
He only says, 'Good fences make good neighbors'.
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
'Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it
Where there are cows?
But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That wants it down.' I could say 'Elves' to him,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
He said it for himself. I see him there
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
He moves in darkness as it seems to me~
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
He will not go behind his father's saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors."


This next poem has the narrator contemplating suicide.

Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.

His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


Now remember the dominant theme of the above poems before you read this!


The Road Less Traveled

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

Let's take a look at this "Road Less Traveled By." According to the narrator, it was "as just as fair"

Shortly after, the scene is described as, "
Though as for that the passing there / Had worn them really about the same"

And just before the narrator chooses his road, he says, "And both that morning equally lay." Equally? Then how is it less traveled by? It's not, and that's the point.

This poem reminds me of when old folks say how they had to walk five--no ten--miles to school, uphill, both ways, in the snow.

It's not about doing something special. It's about doing nothing special at all. It's about how we, out of what Thoreau called "quiet desperation," create the feeling of greatness from nothing.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:42 PM

    I remember we analyzed "Stopping By the Woods" in your class once. I might even have kept the handout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:00 PM

    I would have written of me on my stone: I had a lover's quarrel with the world. ~ Robert Frost

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:31 PM

    AfterMath is Golf Guy. Sorry I used the wrong pseudonym.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems also to be about making choices. Of course his choice made all the difference. Every choice makes "all the difference." You might find my own comments on this topic interesting here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The choice means nothing if nothing meaningful went into the making of it. If the outcome was beneficial, then it was merely by chance.

    It's not a poem of hope if all is up to chance. Luck is a fickle thing.

    ReplyDelete

Bill of Rights