Friday, April 14, 2006

Five Things I Hate: Part 1

Part 1 (and in no particular order)
Basically, I felt like posting something, but nothing too in-depth...

1. When people think that Social Security is some kind of bank account into which they've paid and thus deserve.
--It's not, and you don't. The Social Security that we're paying now is a form of legal plunder, whereby the productive members of society (e.g. those working) are forced to pay for another's non-productivity.
The common defenses include
a.) But how else will the elderly and disabled afford to live?--While we may pity the elderly and disabled, we still lack the right to use the coercive powers of the state to redistribute wealth.
b.) In the end, you get your money back once you retire.--If you live that long. Wouldn't it be better for me to invest that money in an IRA? Besides, it's my money. I worked for it. Let me decide what to do with it. If I hit retirement age and haven't saved up enough to retire comfortably, it's my own fault. It shouldn't be your burden, and you shouldn't be my burden. If you're a dear relative or friend, and I can spare the money, I'm the kind of person who will help out as much as I can. On the other hand, if you burned every relative and made few friends because you were a jerk, then maybe you deserve to feel alone in the twilight years.

2. That there is a House of Representatives made up of not a single person whom I have selected to represent me.

3. People who think that health care is a right. As commonly used, "heath care" refers to medical services, and pharmaceuticals. Medical services are provided by skilled professionals (e.g. doctors, nurses, therapists, and all other medical/hospital employees). Pharmaceuticals (i.e. medicines) are the fruit of laborious (and expensive) research and development, R&D done by skilled professionals. Unless I offer something valuable in exchange for such services and goods, I have no right to them. Just because we need doctors and medicines sometimes to live does not make them a right. I need food, but that doesn't give me the right to go into Outback Steakhouse and demand a prime rib regardless of my ability to pay for it. I should not be able to force a doctor to treat me. Then again, that's not what people are asking for so much with this "National Health Care" dribble. What they're promoting is for me to receive treatment and force YOU to pay for it. There was a time when this was called theft.

4. No matter how hard and long you pinch, shake, and dance, the last few drops end up in your pants. I hate that.

5. How politicians think that it's their jobs to "create" jobs. I thought that in a republic (such as the USA is supposed to be), the government's job was to protect its people's life, liberty, and property. The best thing that a politician can do (in terms of economics), is to cut all the red tape and step out of the way. Laissez-faire, baby.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:13 AM

    1. "If I hit retirement age and haven't saved up enough to retire comfortably, it's my own fault."

    Amen.

    2. Better luck this year, mate.

    3. Quick question: how do you feel about Massachusetts's new health insurance plan? It's not universal health care a la Hillary, but something tells me you're probably not a fan.

    4. I'm sorry. Would it be too radical to suggest toilet paper?

    5. I don't actually have a response for this. I used to be of the belief that the government was obligated to help the less fortunate among us. But lately it seems that everything the government gets involved in, it screws up. I do feel, however, that Americans are lazy and irresponsible. I think if we got rid of the welfare system, the unemployment rate would drop.

    I just don't know what we'd do about all of those homeless children.

    I'm too conflicted and too out of time.

    Ciao,
    Jessica

    PS Jloria@drew.edu <---Send Darfur questions there. It's not so much a protest against something as it is a rally to raise awareness. Of course, awareness and apathy aren't mutually exclusive.

    ReplyDelete

Bill of Rights