Tuesday, July 20, 2010

About a Bad Defense

As Bolivian forces descended upon the wounded mass murderer Ernesto "Che" Guevara, he who sent so many to their deaths begged, "Don't shoot. I am Che Guevara and worth more to you alive than dead." I always found it an ironic plea, as if to say "Don't shoot me. I'm the guy who would have murdered you and your entire family."

Similarly (well, only kinda, but still), the Obama administration recently sacked a USDA bigwig for confessing that she had discriminated against white farmers. It seems to me that this is a bit more complicated than it initially seems.

However, it's this comment that she makes in her defense that bugs me:

I was telling the story of how working with him helped me to see the issue is not about race," she said. "It's about those who have versus those who do not have.

Am I missing something, or is she defending herself by saying that she's not racist anymore because now she's a Marxist?

"Don't shoot--I'm Che!"

1 comment:

  1. While she does work for the federal government, I would bet she could rephrase her statement to say "the issue is not about race, it's about helping those in need." which sounds less "class warfare" and more Christian charity. Wasn't she working for a non-profit group when she helped that white family? Now she works for the USDA, which as far as I know, naively makes policies to help poor farmers that are abused by rich agribusinesses that don't need any government help.

    ReplyDelete

Bill of Rights