Thursday, March 22, 2007

Another 24 Theory.

I've been expecting Jack Bauer to die unexpectedly ever since the Golf Guy mentioned it to me at work about three (or was it four?) years ago. He said that it would be completely unexpected--not even saved for the season finale.

Well, since then, I've pretty much had a theory that Jack will die each season since (and been dead wrong each time). For a long time I thought that they were grooming Curtis to take his place, but it doesn't look like that will be happening. Also, Curtis was a different kind of agent than is Jack, so I should have known better.

However, I'm ready to take gamble and state my current prediction. Watchers of 24 might remember last week that medics wanted to watch Jack for signs of possible internal bleeding. He declined and is back in the thick of things. Perhaps he's going to die soon from those injuries that he received at the hands of the Russians. It's a great angle to take, for it should catch most people completely by surprise. A friend and co-worker of mine took exception to this theory, noting that Sutherland has another year on his contract, but that got me thinking: how much more of a surprise would it then be? It's perfect. It's perfect in being anti-climactic (and thus, in its own surprising way climactic), and it will be absolutely unexpected.

Only two things make me think that I am wrong. First, I doubt that they would pay Southerland for a season just to keep his death a secret. Second, I don't think that the writers, when they do decide to kill Jack, will do so in such a normal, unheroic way. Still, there's part of me that makes me believe that such a death would be so perfect. He's gotten out of so much unbelievable crap in so many unbelievable ways, to have him die so undramatically would be ironically poetic.

Surely Golf Guy, and maybe even the long absent Science Guy have something to comment on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bill of Rights