Friday, December 22, 2006

Merry Christmas!

Well, I'm off to Seattle in just a couple of hours. I'll be away until the new year, so postings between then and now are unlikely.

During the interim, let's get some feedback on books in general. What are your favorite novels and why?

For me, any such list would include

Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand
The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand
1984, by George Orwell
Animal Farm, by George Orwell
Brave New World, by Alduous Huxley
Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain
The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald

These books demonstrate the greatness and the depravity of humankind. They offer us hope while reminding us all of the most basic human frailties that so often prevent us from achieving our ideals. After reading each one, I felt enlightened. Atlas Shrugged, in particular, changed the way that I looked at the world.

So I bid you adieu. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:33 AM

    hey have a great christmas/ new year and hopefully when you get back we can get together on something-al @amstuder@svsu.edu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:14 PM

    Huckleberry Finn was great, and I would have liked 1984 better was I not forced to read it. I've been warned against reading Ayn Rand, (something about self-torture) and haven't gotten around to picking up the others yet.

    Call me a bit of a girl, because I am, but I really liked Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Sure, you knew Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy would end up together, but Austen knew how to delightfully prolong it with twists and points about how poorly society behaves. Charles Dickens' book David Copperfield, though a strenuously long read, was rather good too. It detailed every piece of the boy's life through the end of his years, everyone he met, and how he affected them and was affected by them.
    There is of course Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott; the ultimate medieval tale of knightood, adventures, bravery, etc. It's difficult to read; but difficult books are always better.
    There is also The Hobbit & The Lord of The Rings, but everyone knows what those are about and how good they are.
    I guess this is where I mention Harry Potter as well, because damnit, Rowling knows how to hook an audience.

    But the most enjoyable books I've read are by Terry Pratchett, hands down. He is humorous in a way only the English are allowed to be, but he always has a good story and theme to go with it. I've only read three of his books- The Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky, The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, and am currently reading Good Omens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, favorite novels? Tale of Two Cities is my top, followed closely by Great Expectations. Anything else by Charles Dickens is right up there as well. I loved 1984, but I'm with Caitlin, my only wish being that I hadn't had to read it for school; it's the biggest turnoff for books.
    It's hard to list ALL of my favorites, so I'll just add that anything with imagination and originality captures me. Actually, in reality, anything with printed English that I pick up on my own can capture me... I just like books.

    Hope your Christmas was merry and your New Year got off to a good start. :)

    ReplyDelete

Bill of Rights